Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Monday, March 8, 2010

Day 8: Praise to our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, for
  • Releasing us from our sins (Rev. 1:5)
  • His gift of peace (John 14:27)
  • Praying for all believers (John 17:20-23)
Years ago, my Dad became ill and was hospitalized for 6 weeks. He lived with my bachelor brother, Robert, in Alabama. My brother traveled for the Union he represented and his working hours were irregular, so I went down to help take care of my Dad. Cherry was 18 months old and Doralee was 4 years old and I took them with me.

Before my Dad became ill, he had ordered a new mattress from a local furniture store. We postponed the delivery until he was released from the hospital. The owner of the store delivered the mattress on a Sunday afternoon and stayed to visit with my Dad. We learned that he was a member of the Christian Business Men's Organization. As they chatted, he began to talk to my Dad about his salvation. My Dad listened intently and I sensed his peace. He did not verbally respond but he did thank the man for coming. At that moment, I knew my Dad had accepted the Good News presented by a man who cared. I had prayed for my Dad's salvation for many years. God was in charge and sent the right witness at a time when my Dad's mind and heart were ready to receive the truth.

Fast forward 12 years. My Dad's health was failing and he was not taking care of himself. My brother's work took him away from home often. After talking to my Dad's doctor, it was decided that my Dad should come live with my family. Doralee and Cherry were delighted. They loved their PawPaw. He lived with us for the remaining years of his life. During that time, Doralee finished college and married. Cherry also finished college and was working locally.

My Dad became terminally ill and was in the hospital several times. The last time he was in the hospital, Bill and I and Doralee and Cherry were visiting him. The television in his room was on a sports program about the upcoming baseball season. Cherry said to her PawPaw, "Baseball season is almost here." Her PawPaw was a big baseball fan and he replied, "Honey, I won't make baseball this year. God needs a good gardener in heaven and I'm a good gardener. So I'm going to help Him out." His granddaughters needed to hear this. They had often prayed for him even though I told them about his salvation experience when they were very young. God answers our prayers in His time and at the moment we need to hear from Him.

Three weeks later, I was sitting by Dad's bedside and he told me he was going to sleep, and he awoke in heaven. That night, our home was filled with the Peace that passes all understanding. We're looking forward to a reunion in God's Eternal Garden.

~Doris Brannon

No comments:

Post a Comment